minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
Hey freemarker devs,

I've got an open pull request going here:

Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.

Thanks!

--
Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools

Re: minor debugger improvements

Daniel Dekany
Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey freemarker devs,
>
> I've got an open pull request going here:
> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>
> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.

Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

> Thanks!

Re: minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
No urgency we can wait for mail to arrive.  Thanks for update.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey freemarker devs,
>
> I've got an open pull request going here:
> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>
> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.

Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

> Thanks!

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

Re: minor debugger improvements

Attila Szegedi-3
Heads up, got the signed CLA today - thanks Greg!

Attila.

On Jun 10, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Greg Amerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

No urgency we can wait for mail to arrive.  Thanks for update.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey freemarker devs,
>
> I've got an open pull request going here:
> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>
> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.

Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

> Thanks!

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

Re: minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
Hey Daniel,

Actually take another quick look at my latest commit here:

https://github.com/gamerson/freemarker/commit/92873816c0f628335998aaa92d8cf10c8f26fd77

You will notice that I had to modify one class in the core patch, DebugBreak.  I needed to be able to pass the template name to the EvironmentSuspendedEvent object so that on the client I can differentiate between two remote templates that have breakpoints on the exact same line.

So I hope this minor change to core can still be merged.  Also, Attila got my CLA, so I guess we can move forward. :)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey freemarker devs,
>
> I've got an open pull request going here:
> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>
> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.

Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

> Thanks!

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

Re: minor debugger improvements

angelozerr
Hi Greg,

I have seen your patch. I was modified the Debugger to have templateName like you, but you will need too fileName information if I remember (case of include is used).

I'm waiting decision of Daniel about DLTK Freemarker to start to create patch.

Regards Angelo

Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 9:22:55 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey Daniel,
>
> Actually take another quick look at my latest commit here:
>
> https://github.com/gamerson/freemarker/commit/92873816c0f628335998aaa92d8cf10c8f26fd77
>
> You will notice that I had to modify one class in the core patch,
> DebugBreak.

True, but it's strictly debugging stuff too, so... Anyway, now your
changes are merged. They will be released in 2.3.20. (And 2.3.20 is
*always* released within a few days, it seems... ;) But nothing's
wrong with it, it's just that new goals keep popping up, so things
improve...)

> I needed to be able to pass the template name to the
> EvironmentSuspendedEvent object so that on the client I can
> differentiate between two remote templates that have breakpoints on
> the exact same line.
>
> So I hope this minor change to core can still be merged.  Also,
> Attila got my CLA, so I guess we can move forward.

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:
>
>> Hey freemarker devs,
>>
>> I've got an open pull request going here:
>> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>>
>> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
>> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
>> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
>> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.
>
> Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
> CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
> this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

Re: minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
Good deal.  Are releases announced here on this list?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 3:18:47 PM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Good deal.  Are releases announced here on this list?

Yes.

Re: minor debugger improvements

BTW, is it possible to make stepping (and break points) not confined
to line-starter instructions? Like is that even supported by Eclipse?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 9:22:55 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey Daniel,
>
> Actually take another quick look at my latest commit here:
>
> https://github.com/gamerson/freemarker/commit/92873816c0f628335998aaa92d8cf10c8f26fd77
>
> You will notice that I had to modify one class in the core patch,
> DebugBreak.  I needed to be able to pass the template name to the
> EvironmentSuspendedEvent object so that on the client I can
> differentiate between two remote templates that have breakpoints on the exact same line.
>
> So I hope this minor change to core can still be merged.  Also,
> Attila got my CLA, so I guess we can move forward.

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:
>
>> Hey freemarker devs,
>>
>> I've got an open pull request going here:
>> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>>
>> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
>> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
>> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
>> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.
>
> Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
> CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
> this, I don't have to wait. Is there?

>> Thanks!

Re: minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
Do you mean like stopping at "debugger" keyword or something?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 5:55:12 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Do you mean like stopping at "debugger" keyword or something?

I mean, like, let's say you want to list stuff in a single *output*
line:

  <#list xs as x>...<@foo x />...</#list>

and then you want to put a break-point on the <@foo x /> instruction.
Maybe I'm just lame but I can't achieve the same thing in Eclipse with
Java, placing a break-point mid-line. But with Java it's less a
problem, because you try to format your code nicely. In a template,
however, line-breaks has impact on the output, and although you could
fix that with #t and such, it's common to do things like above. After
all you want the template to look similar to the output.

Same problem with stepping of course.

BTW, putting break-point on FTL *expressions* (as opposed to elements
aka instructions) can be a problem too, after all DebugBreak is not an
Expression. So even if the expression is in its own line, you can't
put a break point on it, right? (Furthermore there is no way of
traversing the AST deeper than on the TemplateElement-level. Not even
with internal API-s, barring reflection hacks of course. But that
could change, if for no other reason because I think I will need
that...)

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, is it possible to make stepping (and break points) not confined
> to line-starter instructions? Like is that even supported by Eclipse?

> Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 9:22:55 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:
>
>> Hey Daniel,
>>
>> Actually take another quick look at my latest commit here:
>>
>> https://github.com/gamerson/freemarker/commit/92873816c0f628335998aaa92d8cf10c8f26fd77
>>
>> You will notice that I had to modify one class in the core patch,
>> DebugBreak.  I needed to be able to pass the template name to the
>> EvironmentSuspendedEvent object so that on the client I can
>> differentiate between two remote templates that have breakpoints on the exact same line.
>>
>> So I hope this minor change to core can still be merged.  Also,
>> Attila got my CLA, so I guess we can move forward.

>> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Monday, June 10, 2013, 5:40:37 AM, Greg Amerson wrote:
>>
>>> Hey freemarker devs,
>>>
>>> I've got an open pull request going here:
>>> https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker/pull/5
>>>
>>> Basically I need a few minor improvements to current debugging
>>> support in freemarker 2.3.x to support a new client I'm writing for
>>> Liferay IDE. I'd like to get the project leaders thoughts on what
>>> remaining tasks are necessary for us to accomplish to get the changes merged.
>>
>> Nothing, as it only affect the debug package. I'm just waiting for the
>> CLA to arrive with traditional mail, but if there's any urgency with
>> this, I don't have to wait. Is there?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany
>>

>>> Thanks!

Re: minor debugger improvements

Greg Amerson
Oh I see what you mean.  In Eclipse there are line breakpoints, Java class prepare, Java methodEntry, java method, java exception breakpoints.  All of those have separate UI conventions for how to set those.  From outline view or class package view you can toggle method breakpoints or classload breakpoints.

So for FM we could create something like an "Instruction" or "Directive" breakpoint toggle mechanism inside of Eclipse, similar to the Java method breakpoint.  Then in your example we could set a breakpoint on the <@foo x /> instruction that is displayed in the outline view or just right-click the instruction in the editor.  Then in the editor gutter and outline view we could display a instruction/directive breakpoint in just the same way as  method breakpoints are annotated in Java editor/outline view.

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com