The Chinese translation of the FreeMarker Manual is now alvilable

The Chinese translation of the FreeMarker Manual is now alvilable

Daniel Dekany
The FreeMarker Manual has been translated to Chinese by one of our
users; you can download it here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freemarker/files/chinese-manual/FreeMarker_Manual_zh_CN.pdf/download

Note that the translation is not entirely complete yet. If you find
mistakes in it or have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to
contact the translator, Nan Lei (see his e-mail address on the cover
page of the Manual).

Re: The Chinese translation of the FreeMarker Manual is now alvilable

Guo Du-4
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that the translation is not entirely complete yet. If you find
> mistakes in it or have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to
> contact the translator, Nan Lei (see his e-mail address on the cover
> page of the Manual).
Thanks Nan Lei for the great effort.

Just suggest to rename "中文版手册(PDF)" to "Chinese - 中文版手册(PDF)" to avoid
confusing for none-Chinese :)
And put under "Online Documentation" section instead of download.

-Guo

Friday, September 10, 2010, 11:50:32 AM, Guo Du wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that the translation is not entirely complete yet. If you find
>> mistakes in it or have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to
>> contact the translator, Nan Lei (see his e-mail address on the cover
>> page of the Manual).
>
> Thanks Nan Lei for the great effort.

(I don't think he is subscriber on this list. I BCC-ed this mail to
him.)

> Just suggest to rename "中文版手册(PDF)" to "Chinese - 中文版手册(PDF)" to avoid
> confusing for none-Chinese :)

I don't know. IMHO if someone can't immediately understand that a menu
item with incomprehensible characters is for those who can read it...
he promises to be confused and suffer and everything. :)

> And put under "Online Documentation" section instead of download.

Unfortunately, it's not on-line. It's a PDF generated from a MS Word
doc. I hope it will be converted to DocBook eventually, and then it
will be there.

BTW, I'm looking forward for your opinion regarding the quality of the
translation, because sadly I can't read it.

> -Guo

Re: The Chinese translation of the FreeMarker Manual is now alvilable

revusky
Here's something I was wondering about, as an avid student of Chinese
(for the last 8 months).

What is FreeMarker in Chinese? I am thinking it is something like
tuōrán biāojì, i.e.

脱然标记

Though I could be wrong. Maybe there is a better translation.

I was on this page playing with the calligraphy generation

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/calligraphy.html

(Very fun even if you don't know Chinese actually, I think.)

It is pretty easy to generate a Chinese freemarker logotype using this
page. I attached an example.

fm-chinese1.png (22K) Download Attachment

2010/9/11 Jonathan Revusky <[hidden email]>:
> What is FreeMarker in Chinese? I am thinking it is something like
FreeMarker is a project name like person name, we don't translate in
general. But we may call you Chinese name 乔纳森 by your name
pronunciation if you don't have a real Chinese name like me. So
whenever people talk about FreeMaker/Jonathan, you will know it which
is good thing :)

Translate purely by what the word means for “FreeMarker” will be
“自由标记”.  脱然 is a beautiful word originated from poem [1].

Hope you enjoy the Chinese learning experience.

-Guo

[1] http://baike.baidu.com/view/2898746.htm

2010/9/12 Guo Du <[hidden email]>:
> 2010/9/11 Jonathan Revusky <[hidden email]>:
>> What is FreeMarker in Chinese? I am thinking it is something like
> FreeMarker is a project name like person name, we don't translate in
> general.

Yes, I suppose it is very rare that computer products translate a
western name into Chinese. Actually, it is even rare for the English
name of a product to be translated to other western languages, like
Spanish. So Windows remains Windows in Spanish, it does not becomes
"Ventanas" in a Spanish speaking country.

》 But we may call you Chinese name 乔纳森 by your name
> pronunciation if you don't have a real Chinese name like me. So
> whenever people talk about FreeMaker/Jonathan, you will know it which
> is good thing :)
>
> Translate purely by what the word means for "FreeMarker" will be
> "自由标记".  脱然 is a beautiful word originated from poem [1].

> [1] http://baike.baidu.com/view/2898746.htm

Ah, I see, that is a very good dictionary page. However, the
translation they provide is "without a worry in the world", which
might be a long translation for something as short as tuōrán. Probably
the better translation in English would be "footloose". Though,
"footloose" usually occurs in the set phrase "footloose and
fancy-free", which is also a poetic level of language. Footloose is
actually not so common a word in modern English. However, "Footloose'
was the title of a famous movie ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087277/
) from the 1980's in which Kevin Bacon portrays a youth who loves rock
music and loves dancing and moves with his family to some small town
that is controlled by religious fanatics who have forbidden rock music
and dancing. Doubtless many foreign viewers of this movie wondered
whether such places really exist in modern America or whether this
small town was a parable about intergenerational conflict and
rebellion etctera. (Right the first time, such places actually exist
in America... :-))

The remaining question is whether the "free" in FreeMarker refers to
your freedom to do many things or simply to the fact that you do not
have to pay for it. It refers to both to some extent, but in a
translation having to choose, I would translate the personal freedom
angle, not the free of charge. In the literature about open source
software, much is made of the difference between the "free" in "free
speech" and the "free" in "free beer". So, yes, it seems that 自由标记 is
the right translation.

> Hope you enjoy the Chinese learning experience.

I am enjoying it very much. I had intended to study Chinese for many
years, but never got around to it.

Thanks again for your work in making 自由标纪 accessible for vastly more people!

JR