State of the Liferay Eclipse FreeMarker support?

State of the Liferay Eclipse FreeMarker support?

Daniel Dekany
Hello,

I'm just interested if where did this go, like if it will go to
production and when.

And of course, I'm sorry that I couldn't fit in more work on this
field yet. It's not like I have given up anything, it's just that
things for which you only have your free time can go maddeningly slow
if you have a developer job and household and all that. (And of course
I have other things to do with FM too that are also supposed to be
high priority...)

Re: State of the Liferay Eclipse FreeMarker support?

angelozerr
Hi Daniel,

Daniel, I'm really sorry I was busied with my other project, I have not worked about Freemarker DLTK plugin,
because I waited that Greg see if Freemarker DLTK plugin is interesting.

More my motivation is down because DLTK is not very active (DLTK guys are the intention to create a new version, but it seems that it's not their priority)

Regards Angelo

Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 1:29:27 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel, I'm really sorry I was busied with my other project, I have
> not worked about Freemarker DLTK plugin, because I waited that Greg
> see if Freemarker DLTK plugin is interesting.

Well, that he has no even more resources to participate in this matter
(and that's perfectly understandable, before someone reads an edge
into this), doesn't make a good FreeMarker plugin less interesting. If
it beats the JBoss one significantly, most certainly everybody will
start using it, including some later release of the Liferay IDE.

> More my motivation is down because DLTK is not very active (DLTK
> guys are the intention to create a new version, but it seems that
> it's not their priority)

So if someone starts to write an Eclipse plugin to support a dynamic
language (and a template language, so it should be able to mix with
HTML), what is his best option nowadays? Dynamic languages have become
important in the Java ecosystem, so I don't think the Eclipse guys
want to hurt the existing plugins (JavaScript, Jython and all that)
too much, or impede future development on that area.

> Regards Angelo
>

> 2013/10/15 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> Hello,
>
> I'm just interested if where did this go, like if it will go to
> production and when.
>
> And of course, I'm sorry that I couldn't fit in more work on this
> field yet. It's not like I have given up anything, it's just that
> things for which you only have your free time can go maddeningly slow
> if you have a developer job and household and all that. (And of course
> I have other things to do with FM too that are also supposed to be
> high priority...)

Re: State of the Liferay Eclipse FreeMarker support?

Greg Amerson
Hey guys,

I'm still very interested, but like everyone else, been busy with other tasks.  I hope to be able to spend some time soon to take a closer look at what Angelo already has accomplished with DLTK based freemarker tools.  I was able to get it all compiling and up and running but I haven't looked at it further.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 1:29:27 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel, I'm really sorry I was busied with my other project, I have
> not worked about Freemarker DLTK plugin, because I waited that Greg
> see if Freemarker DLTK plugin is interesting.

Well, that he has no even more resources to participate in this matter
(and that's perfectly understandable, before someone reads an edge
into this), doesn't make a good FreeMarker plugin less interesting. If
it beats the JBoss one significantly, most certainly everybody will
start using it, including some later release of the Liferay IDE.

> More my motivation is down because DLTK is not very active (DLTK
> guys are the intention to create a new version, but it seems that
> it's not their priority)

So if someone starts to write an Eclipse plugin to support a dynamic
language (and a template language, so it should be able to mix with
HTML), what is his best option nowadays? Dynamic languages have become
important in the Java ecosystem, so I don't think the Eclipse guys
want to hurt the existing plugins (JavaScript, Jython and all that)
too much, or impede future development on that area.

> Regards Angelo
>

> 2013/10/15 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> Hello,
>
> I'm just interested if where did this go, like if it will go to
> production and when.
>
> And of course, I'm sorry that I couldn't fit in more work on this
> field yet. It's not like I have given up anything, it's just that
> things for which you only have your free time can go maddeningly slow
> if you have a developer job and household and all that. (And of course
> I have other things to do with FM too that are also supposed to be
> high priority...)

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

To see features of DLTK Freemarker, please go at https://github.com/angelozerr/Freemarker-Eclipse-DLTK/wiki/Features (for the moment it's just a link on an ODT document which shows you the features (perhaps some features are broken when I have switch to FM 2.3)).

Well, that he has no even more resources to participate in this matter
(and that's perfectly understandable, before someone reads an edge
into this), doesn't make a good FreeMarker plugin less interesting. If
it beats the JBoss one significantly, most certainly everybody will
start using it, including some later release of the Liferay IDE.

Yes I understand, but I would like to avoid developping the big plugin DLTK Freemarker alone to keep motivation.

> More my motivation is down because DLTK is not very active (DLTK
> guys are the intention to create a new version, but it seems that
> it's not their priority)

So if someone starts to write an Eclipse plugin to support a dynamic
language (and a template language, so it should be able to mix with
HTML), what is his best option nowadays? Dynamic languages have become
important in the Java ecosystem, so I don't think the Eclipse guys
want to hurt the existing plugins (JavaScript, Jython and all that)
too much, or impede future development on that area.

Yes you right, alot of plugins are based on DLTK, so DLTK will continue to live but it is not very active (I think it's because it is mature)
Mix HTML & Freemarker is a feature that I had not though (I had created this issue https://github.com/angelozerr/Freemarker-Eclipse-DLTK/issues/1 for that).

Regards Angelo

> Regards Angelo
>

> 2013/10/15 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> Hello,
>
> I'm just interested if where did this go, like if it will go to
> production and when.
>
> And of course, I'm sorry that I couldn't fit in more work on this
> field yet. It's not like I have given up anything, it's just that
> things for which you only have your free time can go maddeningly slow
> if you have a developer job and household and all that. (And of course
> I have other things to do with FM too that are also supposed to be
> high priority...)

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

Re: State of the Liferay Eclipse FreeMarker support?

Greg Amerson
Hey Daniel,

Yes the current debugger over JBoss FreeMarker has been released in a milestone release.  But I ran into some difficulty extending the editor to make it useful for Liferay template developers, it didn't scale well when I applied it to some use-cases in our environment.  So I have stopped any more development on it and I'm going to switch over to help work with Angelo in the new Freemarker editor based on WTP+Freemarker DLTK-jflex-based parser.   But the current debugger client is going into the release.  Right now it only works for debugging Liferay theme templates built with freemarker.  https://www.liferay.com/web/gregory.amerson/blog/-/blogs/new-release-liferay-ide-2-0-milestone-1  See this blog entry and scroll down to see the freemarker debugger screenshots.

If anyone on the list is interested in the code for the debugger client in Eclipse here it is: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-ide/tree/master/common/plugins/com.liferay.ide.debug.core/src/com/liferay/ide/debug/core/fm

However, it isn't as full featured as the debugger that Angelo was talking about building based on the dynamic debugger spec.  This one just works with "suspend" and "resume" and (and a fake step I added which only really works in the simplest of cases)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
The point of my original question was if the plugin that you have
worked on earlier (which adds debugging over the JBoss FreeMarker
plugin, I believe), will it make into the Liferay IDE release? And
with what features? I'm just curious.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 3:09:50 PM, Greg Amerson wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm still very interested, but like everyone else, been busy with
> other tasks.  I hope to be able to spend some time soon to take a
> closer look at what Angelo already has accomplished with DLTK based
> freemarker tools.  I was able to get it all compiling and up and
> running but I haven't looked at it further.
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 1:29:27 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Daniel, I'm really sorry I was busied with my other project, I have
>> not worked about Freemarker DLTK plugin, because I waited that Greg
>> see if Freemarker DLTK plugin is interesting.
>
> Well, that he has no even more resources to participate in this matter
> (and that's perfectly understandable, before someone reads an edge
> into this), doesn't make a good FreeMarker plugin less interesting. If
> it beats the JBoss one significantly, most certainly everybody will
> start using it, including some later release of the Liferay IDE.
>
>> More my motivation is down because DLTK is not very active (DLTK
>> guys are the intention to create a new version, but it seems that
>> it's not their priority)
>
> So if someone starts to write an Eclipse plugin to support a dynamic
> language (and a template language, so it should be able to mix with
> HTML), what is his best option nowadays? Dynamic languages have become
> important in the Java ecosystem, so I don't think the Eclipse guys
> want to hurt the existing plugins (JavaScript, Jython and all that)
> too much, or impede future development on that area.
>
>> Regards Angelo
>>

>> 2013/10/15 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just interested if where did this go, like if it will go to
>> production and when.
>>
>> And of course, I'm sorry that I couldn't fit in more work on this
>> field yet. It's not like I have given up anything, it's just that
>> things for which you only have your free time can go maddeningly slow
>> if you have a developer job and household and all that. (And of course
>> I have other things to do with FM too that are also supposed to be
>> high priority...)
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Daniel Dekany