Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
Guys,

how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from the
app_versions.xml):

* BeansWrapper can now expose public fields of objects to the template if
you call the setExposeFields(true) on it.

* Support for JDK 1.5 enums in BeansWrapper and DefaultObjectWrapper. By
calling the getEnumModels() method, you can retrieve a hash model that is
keyed by class names and allows access to enumerated values. I.e. if you
bind this hash model under name enums in the data model, you can write
expressions like enums["java.math.RoundingMode"].UP in the template. The
enum values can be used as scalars and support equality and inequality
comparisons.

* freemarker.ext.jdom.NodeListModel finally works with JDOM 1.0. It no
longer works with JDOM-b8.

(The last two are backports from 2.4. The first one is something that I
have yet to forward-port to 2.4...)

Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

revusky
It seems okay to put out a release. I have no objection.

On 11/13/06, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
> version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from the
> app_versions.xml):
>
> * BeansWrapper can now expose public fields of objects to the template if
> you call the setExposeFields(true) on it.
>
> * Support for JDK 1.5 enums in BeansWrapper and DefaultObjectWrapper. By
> calling the getEnumModels() method, you can retrieve a hash model that is
> keyed by class names and allows access to enumerated values. I.e. if you
> bind this hash model under name enums in the data model, you can write
> expressions like enums["java.math.RoundingMode"].UP in the template. The
> enum values can be used as scalars and support equality and inequality
> comparisons.
>
> * freemarker.ext.jdom.NodeListModel finally works with JDOM 1.0. It no
> longer works with JDOM-b8.
>
> (The last two are backports from 2.4. The first one is something that I
> have yet to forward-port to 2.4...)
>
> Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> Guys,
>
> how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
> version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from the
> app_versions.xml):
>
> * BeansWrapper can now expose public fields of objects to the template if
> you call the setExposeFields(true) on it.
>
> * Support for JDK 1.5 enums in BeansWrapper and DefaultObjectWrapper. By
> calling the getEnumModels() method, you can retrieve a hash model that is
> keyed by class names and allows access to enumerated values. I.e. if you
> bind this hash model under name enums in the data model, you can write
> expressions like enums["java.math.RoundingMode"].UP in the template. The
> enum values can be used as scalars and support equality and inequality
> comparisons.
>
> * freemarker.ext.jdom.NodeListModel finally works with JDOM 1.0. It no
> longer works with JDOM-b8.

But this last is non-BC, is it not? Sorry, that way it's clearly
no-go, as it going to be a 2.3.x release.

Also I have found this in my freemarker/checkit.txt, and I'm not sure
what happened with this:

  RhinoWrapper: Fix for handling Undefined and UniqueTag.NOT_FOUND

Other than the non-BC issue I have no objections... If you plan to do
the release yourself, please use the step-by-step tutorial at (or...
on? :)) the Wiki. Oh, and this goes double for Jonathan... ;)

> (The last two are backports from 2.4. The first one is something that I
> have yet to forward-port to 2.4...)
>
> Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> Guys,
>
> how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
> version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from the
> app_versions.xml):

BTW, don't have to forward-port the docgen changes (if you have
planned to). The whole 2.4 docgen will be overwritten with the head of
the 2.3 branch at some point. The changes you have made in the 2.4
branch (that is, in the SVN...) will be reapplied, so they have not
lost. So if anybody feels like writing a *lot* of 2.4 Manual updates,
please tell me first... I don't want to fight with a too complex
merging later, you see.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
As a matter of fact, I did update the 2.4 docgen quite a lot already -
scan the SVN commit mails. So far, I documented all the 2.4 features I
developed for it (security enhancements, currying, JDK 1.5 enum support).

Attila.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:44:58 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
>> version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from
>> the
>> app_versions.xml):
>
> BTW, don't have to forward-port the docgen changes (if you have
> planned to). The whole 2.4 docgen will be overwritten with the head of
> the 2.3 branch at some point. The changes you have made in the 2.4
> branch (that is, in the SVN...) will be reapplied, so they have not
> lost. So if anybody feels like writing a *lot* of 2.4 Manual updates,
> please tell me first... I don't want to fight with a too complex
> merging later, you see.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Daniel Dekany
Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 11:26:57 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I did update the 2.4 docgen quite a lot already -
> scan the SVN commit mails. So far, I documented all the 2.4 features I
> developed for it (security enhancements, currying, JDK 1.5 enum support).

I know. That's what I meant when I said "changes you have made". Just
tell me if you plan to do a lot of changes again, because then rather
I do the merging earlier. That's all.

> Attila.
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:44:58 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> how about releasing 2.3.9? I've updated the docgen in CVS on the
>>> version_2_3-bugfixes branch. The changelog is as follows (copied from
>>> the
>>> app_versions.xml):
>>
>> BTW, don't have to forward-port the docgen changes (if you have
>> planned to). The whole 2.4 docgen will be overwritten with the head of
>> the 2.3 branch at some point. The changes you have made in the 2.4
>> branch (that is, in the SVN...) will be reapplied, so they have not
>> lost. So if anybody feels like writing a *lot* of 2.4 Manual updates,
>> please tell me first... I don't want to fight with a too complex
>> merging later, you see.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:40:10 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>

>> * freemarker.ext.jdom.NodeListModel finally works with JDOM 1.0. It no
>> longer works with JDOM-b8.
>
> But this last is non-BC, is it not? Sorry, that way it's clearly
> no-go, as it going to be a 2.3.x release.

Hm. I considered this to be a bugfix, as we were compiling against an
outdated beta API instead of the current stable API. Although I can see
your point as well; this'd certainly break existing installations of FM
that have jdom-b8 deployed with them. What can I say? If anyone out there
uses it, they probably consider it a curse to have to stick with it. But
you're right. It's not BWC -- I'll back it out.

> Also I have found this in my freemarker/checkit.txt, and I'm not sure
> what happened with this:
>
>   RhinoWrapper: Fix for handling Undefined and UniqueTag.NOT_FOUND

You're right - that too. I scanned the CVS commits later than July 9, and
it somehow slipped my attention.

> Other than the non-BC issue I have no objections... If you plan to do
> the release yourself, please use the step-by-step tutorial at (or...
> on? :)) the Wiki. Oh, and this goes double for Jonathan... ;)

Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Stephan Müller-2
Daniel Dekany wrote:
> Other than the non-BC issue I have no objections... If you plan to do
> the release yourself, please use the step-by-step tutorial at (or...
> on? :)) the Wiki. Oh, and this goes double for Jonathan... ;)

This reminds me that IMHO we need some kind of build environment on the
freemarker.org server and build our release there, maybe even with the
help of a CI server. What do you think?

Stephan.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 11:40:35 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:40:10 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:37:48 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>>

>>> * freemarker.ext.jdom.NodeListModel finally works with JDOM 1.0. It no
>>> longer works with JDOM-b8.
>>
>> But this last is non-BC, is it not? Sorry, that way it's clearly
>> no-go, as it going to be a 2.3.x release.
>>

> Hm. I considered this to be a bugfix, as we were compiling against an
> outdated beta API instead of the current stable API. Although I can see
> your point as well; this'd certainly break existing installations of FM
> that have jdom-b8 deployed with them. What can I say?

Well, if you feel like doing the things really right, then you could
add some Java reflection stuff so it will work with both versions...
OTOH I don't think we want to keep dependency on both jdom.jar version
in the 2.4 branch, you know, it complicates maintenance. But then, I
don't see when will 2.4 released... if ever...

wrote:

> Other than the non-BC issue I have no objections... If you plan to do
> the release yourself, please use the step-by-step tutorial at (or...
> on? :)) the Wiki. Oh, and this goes double for Jonathan... ;)

I started doing the release this afternoon, even obtained antiquities like
servlet 2.3 JAR file and JDOM-b8, but run into an unsurmountable problem:
for BWC, we must build using javac with "boot.class.path" set to JDK
1.2.2, and I'm now on Mac OS X, meaning that the oldest thing I have on
the machine is JDK 1.3. :-(

So, Daniel, may I ask you that you do it? And thanks. I've updated the
version number in all files according to the wiki and committed back to
CVS and SVN. I also added a clarification to Wiki that even when doing
releases from CVS, the "site" module from SVN should be used.

Attila.

>> (The last two are backports from 2.4. The first one is something that I
>> have yet to forward-port to 2.4...)
>>
>> Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Daniel Dekany
Sunday, November 26, 2006, 2:21:20 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:40:10 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Other than the non-BC issue I have no objections... If you plan to do
>> the release yourself, please use the step-by-step tutorial at (or...
>> on? :)) the Wiki. Oh, and this goes double for Jonathan... ;)
>
> I started doing the release this afternoon, even obtained antiquities like
> servlet 2.3 JAR file and JDOM-b8, but run into an unsurmountable problem:
> for BWC, we must build using javac with "boot.class.path" set to JDK
> 1.2.2, and I'm now on Mac OS X, meaning that the oldest thing I have on
> the machine is JDK 1.3. :-(

But, I guess an rt.jar should be enough for the compilation, no mater
what the platform is. Here you can grab it: http://okfa.hu/rt.jar

> So, Daniel, may I ask you that you do it?

Ohhh well... as you can see, I'm even more helpful than that.
MUHAHAHAAAA! :)

> And thanks.

No problem... <evil>:)</evil>

> I've updated the version number in all files according to the wiki
> and committed back to CVS and SVN. I also added a clarification to
> Wiki that even when doing releases from CVS, the "site" module from
> SVN should be used.

Yeah, that was outdated... thanks.

> Attila.
>

>>> (The last two are backports from 2.4. The first one is something that I
>>> have yet to forward-port to 2.4...)
>>>
>>> Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:12:27 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> But, I guess an rt.jar should be enough for the compilation, no mater
> what the platform is. Here you can grab it: http://okfa.hu/rt.jar

Hm... That might actually work. I'll try it. Thanks.

>> So, Daniel, may I ask you that you do it?
>
> Ohhh well... as you can see, I'm even more helpful than that.
> MUHAHAHAAAA! :)

I love you too.

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:41:01 +0100, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hm... That might actually work. I'll try it. Thanks.

Yep, it looks like it worked -- so leave it to me, I'll pack up a release.
Actually, since I found a bit of time yesterday to spend on it, I've fixed
few things with the freemarker.debug package too -- there's one guy, Bruno
Guedes, who's trying to write an Eclipse front-end for it, so I thought it
wouldn't hurt to have it functional too. After Bruno gets a chance to test
it a bit, I guess I'll just pack those fixes into 2.3.9 too. Yes, that
does delay it a bit, but if it's me who does the distro, then it's me who
decides when it is done :-)

Attila.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Daniel Dekany
Monday, November 27, 2006, 9:56:21 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:41:01 +0100, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Hm... That might actually work. I'll try it. Thanks.
>>

> Yep, it looks like it worked -- so leave it to me, I'll pack up a
> release. Actually, since I found a bit of time yesterday to spend on
> it, I've fixed few things with the freemarker.debug package too --
> there's one guy, Bruno Guedes, who's trying to write an Eclipse
> front-end for it, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it
> functional too. After Bruno gets a chance to test it a bit, I guess
> I'll just pack those fixes into 2.3.9 too. Yes, that does delay it a
> bit, but if it's me who does the distro, then it's me who decides
> when it is done :-)

Right... When? :) And if I do the distro?

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:10:52 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> Yep, it looks like it worked -- so leave it to me, I'll pack up a
>> release. Actually, since I found a bit of time yesterday to spend on
>> it, I've fixed few things with the freemarker.debug package too --
>> there's one guy, Bruno Guedes, who's trying to write an Eclipse
>> front-end for it, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it
>> functional too. After Bruno gets a chance to test it a bit, I guess
>> I'll just pack those fixes into 2.3.9 too. Yes, that does delay it a
>> bit, but if it's me who does the distro, then it's me who decides
>> when it is done :-)
>
> Right... When? :) And if I do the distro?

Then you decide when it is done :-) Seriously, I didn't have time to look
into that debugger issue, and it'd probably be beneficial to have the rest
of the features (enums, field reflection) finally in a published release,
so if you can afford the time, go ahead.

Attila.

Thursday, December 21, 2006, 10:17:04 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:10:52 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>> Yep, it looks like it worked -- so leave it to me, I'll pack up a
>>> release. Actually, since I found a bit of time yesterday to spend on
>>> it, I've fixed few things with the freemarker.debug package too --
>>> there's one guy, Bruno Guedes, who's trying to write an Eclipse
>>> front-end for it, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it
>>> functional too. After Bruno gets a chance to test it a bit, I guess
>>> I'll just pack those fixes into 2.3.9 too. Yes, that does delay it a
>>> bit, but if it's me who does the distro, then it's me who decides
>>> when it is done :-)
>>
>> Right... When? :) And if I do the distro?
>
> Then you decide when it is done :-) Seriously, I didn't have time to look
> into that debugger issue, and it'd probably be beneficial to have the rest
> of the features (enums, field reflection) finally in a published release,
> so if you can afford the time, go ahead.

You know what... I will do there release only in 2007. So you and
Jonathan will(?) have the extra time to fix some things.

Was the Rhino bug fixed?

Jonathan, we have some real parser bugs around, it seems... see in the
bug tracker. Would be good if you kill the bastards.

Re: Publishing 2.3.9

Attila Szegedi
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:37:36 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Was the Rhino bug fixed?

The one for handling Undefined and UniqueTag.NOT_FOUND? Yes, it was. I'm
not aware of any other.

Attila.

Thursday, December 21, 2006, 1:47:56 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:37:36 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Was the Rhino bug fixed?
>>

> The one for handling Undefined and UniqueTag.NOT_FOUND? Yes, it was.

Yes... sorry, surely overlooked the CVS mail somehow.