Project folder name in Eclipse .classpath file

Project folder name in Eclipse .classpath file

Woonsan Ko
Hi,

Because I've just started working with Ivy, I don't know what the best
practices are with regard to Eclipse specific files such as .classpath
and .project file.
I had to struggle with the situation that my eclipse couldn't resolve
dependencies properly. The problem seems to be related to the following
in .classpath file:

<classpathentry kind="con"
path="...%24%7Bworkspace_loc%3AFreeMarker-master%2Fivysettings.xml%7D..."/>

If I replace "Freemarker-master" by my project folder name (e.g,
"freemarker"), then it starts working fine.
But I wonder if the .classpath file should be maintained this way in
scm. I usually add .classpath and .project to ignore file list and let
the eclipse maven plugin resolve/generate those automatically.
Is there a better Ivy way or should I use the same project folder name
in .classpath?

Thanks in advance,

Woonsan

--
[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

Re: Project folder name in Eclipse .classpath file

Daniel Dekany
Mine also have "workspace_loc%3AFreeMarker-master%2Fivysettings.xml"
here, and the folder name is "freemarker" on my computer, and it
works. "FreeMarker-master" is just the Eclipse project name after all
(which of course shouldn't be changed). So I don't know why it didn't
work there. Did you follow the instructions in the README.txt too?

As of committing these... well, I hoped it mostly just works if
someone checks the project out, and he also has the Ivy plugin
installed. Mostly... And if not, then perhaps it's still easier than
setting up everything from scratch. Also Eclipse files store stuff
like Java compiler preferences, PMD setting (not in FM yet though...),
etc., which are really the part project "policy". So that's why I
prefer to keep them in the SCM. But if it's too unportable then maybe
I should find out something else.

(I also want to get rid of Ant/Ivy one day... if it can just use
Maven, that will help a lot for contributors.)

Thursday, August 14, 2014, 3:54:43 AM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because I've just started working with Ivy, I don't know what the best
> practices are with regard to Eclipse specific files such as .classpath
> and .project file.
> I had to struggle with the situation that my eclipse couldn't resolve
> dependencies properly. The problem seems to be related to the following
> in .classpath file:
>
> <classpathentry kind="con"
> path="...%24%7Bworkspace_loc%3AFreeMarker-master%2Fivysettings.xml%7D..."/>
>
> If I replace "Freemarker-master" by my project folder name (e.g,
> "freemarker"), then it starts working fine.
> But I wonder if the .classpath file should be maintained this way in
> scm. I usually add .classpath and .project to ignore file list and let
> the eclipse maven plugin resolve/generate those automatically.
> Is there a better Ivy way or should I use the same project folder name
> in .classpath?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Woonsan

Re: Project folder name in Eclipse .classpath file

Woonsan Ko
Thanks for the remarks, Daniel!
Yes, I think I followed the steps described in README.txt, using Eclipse
Luna, IvyDE (with default config) and running `ant update-deps'.
I can keep the project name as "FreeMarker-master", which should be fine
with me.

Regarding Ant/Ivy vs Maven, I cannot compare and pick one from those
myself because my experiences with Ivy is very minimal, but if it can be
more beneficial to the community with Maven in the future, then I'm
interested in helping the transition. Also, I now understand from
build.xml that the transition wouldn't be so easy because we have to
deal with various things such as compiling against 1.4 and 1.5, site doc
generation, etc.
Anyway, that's great to know. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Woonsan

Friday, August 15, 2014, 10:26:53 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> Thanks for the remarks, Daniel!
> Yes, I think I followed the steps described in README.txt, using Eclipse
> Luna, IvyDE (with default config) and running `ant update-deps'.
> I can keep the project name as "FreeMarker-master", which should be fine
> with me.
>
> Regarding Ant/Ivy vs Maven, I cannot compare and pick one from those
> myself because my experiences with Ivy is very minimal, but if it
> can be more beneficial to the community with Maven in the future,
> then I'm interested in helping the transition. Also, I now
> understand from build.xml that the transition wouldn't be so easy
> because we have to deal with various things such as compiling
> against 1.4 and 1.5, site doc generation, etc.

Docgen and site are the least of my fears. If nothing else, we can
call Ant snippets from Maven to do those. Nobody cares about that two
anyway. What matters is building the FreeMarker binary itself. There
we have to compile against various Servlet versions, Jython versions,
etc. Those can go into separate Maven modules, so it's maybe not a big
problem so far. But then somehow all those modules will have to go
into a common über artifact, partially for convenience, and partially
for backward compatibility. I don't want a single big monolitic
freemarker.jar thought (that monster is just historical baggage
really), but still there should exist a org.freemarker:freemarker über
artifact that pulls in all the module jars as dependencies. But the
modules have "provided" dependencies of various versions of the same
artifact. I guess I will have to exclude them in the über artifact.
There are further things that can jeopardize this plan, like, ensuring
that the module versions match exactly sounds quite hopeless with the
naive dependency management of Maven. So maybe the über artifact has
to be a single jar after all... /-: