Preparing for 2.3.10

Attila Szegedi
I've committed some bugfixes in the last two days, and I believe they're
enough to release 2.3.10. Here's the list:

* [1589245] MultiTemplateLoader clears its internal cached data (used for
optimizing subsequent lookups of the same template) when
Configuration.clearTemplateCache() is invoked.
* [1619257] A bug that caused an exception when strict_bean_model was used
in a <#setting .../> directive has been fixed.
* [1628550] You can now use dateExp?string.full for formatting dates using
Java built-in format java.util.Date.FULL
* [1685176] A bug that caused StackOverflowError in certain interactions
of garbage collector with MRU cache under Sun's Java 6 JVM has been fixed.
* [1686955] When ResourceBundleModel constructs MessageFormat objects, it
now passes them its own locale.
* [1691432] A bug that caused BeansWrapper.EXPOSE_SAFE to be no safer than
BeansWrapper.EXPOSE_ALL has been fixed.

Of these, the StackOverflowError thing is rather serious, and honestly, it
alone would be enough to justify a new release.

Daniel, I'd like to ask you to publish the new release sometime in the
future, if that's okay. "Sometime in the future" actually means anytime
after:
1. you're done with your own work on updating the docs and
2. the guy who reported [1685176] confirms the fix actually worked -- I'll
let you know.

Thanks,
   Attila.

Re: Preparing for 2.3.10

Daniel Dekany
Tuesday, April 3, 2007, 10:26:32 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> I've committed some bugfixes in the last two days, and I believe they're
> enough to release 2.3.10. Here's the list:
>
> * [1589245] MultiTemplateLoader clears its internal cached data (used for
> optimizing subsequent lookups of the same template) when
> Configuration.clearTemplateCache() is invoked.
> * [1619257] A bug that caused an exception when strict_bean_model was used
> in a <#setting .../> directive has been fixed.

I guess this was also fixed this issue when somebody configures
FreeMarker using a .properties file or Properties object, or with
setSetting(String, String).

> * [1628550] You can now use dateExp?string.full for formatting dates using
> Java built-in format java.util.Date.FULL
> * [1685176] A bug that caused StackOverflowError in certain interactions
> of garbage collector with MRU cache under Sun's Java 6 JVM has been fixed.

(I would never thought that an MRU cache can be a such difficult
component. At least AFAIK, this is not a the first serious issue found
in it. The other star being the BeansWrapper. )

> * [1686955] When ResourceBundleModel constructs MessageFormat objects, it
> now passes them its own locale.
> * [1691432] A bug that caused BeansWrapper.EXPOSE_SAFE to be no safer than
> BeansWrapper.EXPOSE_ALL has been fixed.

(Here we are... a BeansWrapper bug. :))

> Of these, the StackOverflowError thing is rather serious, and honestly, it
> alone would be enough to justify a new release.
>
> Daniel, I'd like to ask you to publish the new release sometime in the
> future, if that's okay. "Sometime in the future" actually means anytime
> after:
> 1. you're done with your own work on updating the docs and
> 2. the guy who reported [1685176] confirms the fix actually worked -- I'll
> let you know.

OK.

> Thanks,
>    Attila.

Re: Preparing for 2.3.10

Attila Szegedi
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:37:28 +0200, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Tuesday, April 3, 2007, 10:26:32 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>
> (I would never thought that an MRU cache can be a such difficult
> component. At least AFAIK, this is not a the first serious issue found
> in it. The other star being the BeansWrapper. )

Maybe it's not difficult, maybe I'm just lame :-). Actually, in this case
I was definitely lame, as the bug was caused by me accidentally
introducing a two-method recursion in the soft reference queue consumption
code...

OTOH, this is not just any MRU cache, this is a two-level MRU cache that
combines a strong-referenced cache + a soft-referenced cache, with objects
going from being strongly referenced to being softly referenced before
being dropped, and they can of course go back to being strongly referenced
if they were recalled while in the softly referenced state. It was a
community request to have this beast based on some users' performance
measurements -- it would probably never have occurred to me to write such
an elaborate thing on my own...

Attila.

Re: Preparing for 2.3.10

Attila Szegedi
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:26:32 +0200, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Daniel, I'd like to ask you to publish the new release sometime in the
> future, if that's okay. "Sometime in the future" actually means anytime
> after:
> 1. you're done with your own work on updating the docs and
> 2. the guy who reported [1685176] confirms the fix actually worked --
> I'll
> let you know.

Ok, the StackOverflowError thing looks like it's fixed. As far as I'm
concerned, we should release 2.3.10 (so that I can start on working on
certain JSP 2.0 features and fixes for 2.3.11 :-))

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

Re: Preparing for 2.3.10

Daniel Dekany
Monday, April 16, 2007, 10:51:30 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:26:32 +0200, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Daniel, I'd like to ask you to publish the new release sometime in the
>> future, if that's okay. "Sometime in the future" actually means anytime
>> after:
>> 1. you're done with your own work on updating the docs and
>> 2. the guy who reported [1685176] confirms the fix actually worked --
>> I'll
>> let you know.
>
> Ok, the StackOverflowError thing looks like it's fixed. As far as I'm
> concerned, we should release 2.3.10

This week most certainly I will do it. Surely not earlier than
Wednesday.

> (so that I can start on working on certain JSP 2.0 features and
> fixes for 2.3.11 :-))

Good that the fire still burns somewhere.