New FreeMarker plugin code

revusky
Hi (mostly to Angelo),

I (FINALLY) went through all the steps in your document wrote a
test.ftl in the debug mode of the plugin and all of that.

Well, it looks like a good start. Also, I assume that building on top
of the DLTK project is very promising in terms of getting a more full
featured tool than any previous plugin we had.

One little piece of low-hanging fruit seems to be that there is no
interaction with the Problems view in eclipse. I have to think that
this is just something pending. Also, the ability to have syntax
errors underlined (or highlighted somehow) in the text window would
also seem attractive. One problem is that the way the current parser
works is that it just stops when it hits any syntactical error and
spits out a stack trace. This is normal behavior in actual usage, but
in terms of writing a template in an editor, it would be better for it
to keep going on errors so that you can highlight all the syntax
errors in a file. At one point, I was actually playing with allowing
an error recovery sort of parsing to support tools like this.

A couple of general comments about going forward on this:

There seems to be a need to be able to define an example data model
that would be associated with a template for rendering purposes. I
think actually maybe to be able to define it in YAML, for example,
could be interesting. Though another way initially would be just to
define it in FTL in a separate .ftl even if that could be a bit
awkward.

Though of course there are a lot of ideas one could work on, probably
we should prioritize replicating all the features that are present in
the existing plugin. Once we have all the features of the previous
plugin present (plus a few extra goodies maybe) we can roll up a
preview release and encourage people to use it. That way we could
start getting some user feedback, which I think is really a key thing
in terms of getting a project momentum going.

Well, nothing more to say for now. I'll try to look some more
underneath in the coming days. Again, I'm really sorry to have taken
so long to do these minimal steps. But I have been very inactive.
Yesterday, I finally set up my eclipse with my various OSS projects,
freemarker and freecc really and got all my development environment
going again. Actually, terrible admision that I didn't even have my
dev environment for these things set up (due to multiple hard disk
failures in the last year or so...). So here I am getting  back into
coding after like 18 months of not even having my eclipse environment
set up to do anything!

Maybe I'll get more active now, but I hate to make promises, because I
have been so flakey lately on this that if I were you, I wouldn't
believe me!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

JR

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi Jonathan,

2010/5/30 Jonathan Revusky <[hidden email]>
Hi (mostly to Angelo),

I (FINALLY) went through all the steps in your document wrote a
test.ftl in the debug mode of the plugin and all of that.

Cool:)

Well, it looks like a good start. Also, I assume that building on top
of the DLTK project is very promising in terms of getting a more full
featured tool than any previous plugin we had.

I think too it's a good  idea to use DLTK. DLTK has studied JDT (Java plugin Eclipse) and it provided the same features like JDT (Refactoring, Search engine....).

One little piece of low-hanging fruit seems to be that there is no
interaction with the Problems view in eclipse. I have to think that
this is just something pending.

I have done Error parsing, very quick, I know there are several problems. I will see your problem with " Problems view in eclipse". But I would like wait the decision about Freemarker version to use 3.0 (for Jonathan) and 2.* (for Daniel)). I have an idea about this problem. Manage the whole version of Freemarker. With 2.* error parsing will not very good, and with  3.0 error parsing will be very described. So when user wants create Freemarker template, it choose the version of Freemarker that he wish tu use. With OSGi context (where Eclipse Plugin is based on), you can put several JAR (Freemarker) => each plugin (which are OSGi bundle) has her own ClassLoader. What do you think about this idea?

Also, the ability to have syntax
errors underlined (or highlighted somehow) in the text window would
also seem attractive.

Ok.

One problem is that the way the current parser
works is that it just stops when it hits any syntactical error and
spits out a stack trace. This is normal behavior in actual usage, but
in terms of writing a template in an editor, it would be better for it
to keep going on errors so that you can highlight all the syntax
errors in a file. At one point, I was actually playing with allowing
an error recovery sort of parsing to support tools like this.

No Strict parser, will be very cool to display several errors. I think it's importanyt to display too errors when model is not retrieved.

A couple of general comments about going forward on this:

There seems to be a need to be able to define an example data model
that would be associated with a template for rendering purposes. I
think actually maybe to be able to define it in YAML, for example,
could be interesting. Though another way initially would be just to
define it in FTL in a separate .ftl even if that could be a bit
awkward.

You mean "Model tab" of the editor ? For the moment I have not implemented that, but the idea is to define the models like JBoss Freemarker. I don't know if I will keep "Model" as tab name, I wthink I will use "Overview" (It will display the same renderer (like WEB) than Overview tab of the PDE plugin), because I would like configure several things into this tab :

* Model (like JBoss)
* Output (XML, HTML, Java...) and (I don't know if it's possible), the preview tab will display the result of the merge into XML Editor, HTMl Editor....
* Freemarker Configuration (Square bracket...)

Though of course there are a lot of ideas one could work on, probably
we should prioritize replicating all the features that are present in
the existing plugin. Once we have all the features of the previous
plugin present (plus a few extra goodies maybe) we can roll up a
preview release and encourage people to use it. That way we could
start getting some user feedback, which I think is really a key thing
in terms of getting a project momentum going.

I agree with that, but there are a lot of work before publishing the plugins.

Well, nothing more to say for now. I'll try to look some more
underneath in the coming days. Again, I'm really sorry to have taken
so long to do these minimal steps. But I have been very inactive.
Yesterday, I finally set up my eclipse with my various OSS projects,
freemarker and freecc really and got all my development environment
going again. Actually, terrible admision that I didn't even have my
dev environment for these things set up (due to multiple hard disk
failures in the last year or so...). So here I am getting  back into
coding after like 18 months of not even having my eclipse environment
set up to do anything!

:) Thank a lot for your feedback.

Maybe I'll get more active now, but I hate to make promises, because I
have been so flakey lately on this that if I were you, I wouldn't
believe me!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thank a lot.

For information I'm developping "Debug As Freemarker" capability to debug Freemarker template. I have already done (and commited) the menu "Debug As Freemarker" (like Run As Freemarker") but the action doesn't works. Indead, DLTK use DBGp to communicate between IDE Eclipse and an any debugger (in our case Freemarker). So I have studied DBGp http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php and I have started to implement DBGP Freemarker debugger. I don't use (for the moment) the Debugger API of Attila, because it's difficult to extend it to implement another Freemarker Debugger (several methods are private, there are a lot of code wich could be in common into another Debugger implementation (like DBGp), It's impossible to add your own Debugger when Template is created...)

But if you are interested with my work abouyt DBGP Debugger, I could explained you, but for the moment I have implemented generic DBGP Debugger to catch actions form the IDE (add/remove breakpoint...)

Regards Angelo

JR

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

Attila Szegedi-3
On 2010.05.31., at 9:44, Angelo zerr wrote:

For information I'm developping "Debug As Freemarker" capability to debug Freemarker template. I have already done (and commited) the menu "Debug As Freemarker" (like Run As Freemarker") but the action doesn't works. Indead, DLTK use DBGp to communicate between IDE Eclipse and an any debugger (in our case Freemarker). So I have studied DBGp http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php and I have started to implement DBGP Freemarker debugger. I don't use (for the moment) the Debugger API of Attila, because it's difficult to extend it to implement another Freemarker Debugger (several methods are private, there are a lot of code wich could be in common into another Debugger implementation (like DBGp), It's impossible to add your own Debugger when Template is created...)

If you want, you're welcome to generalize that code - separate it into an extension point API with few interface definitions, and one default implementation being the RMI-based debugger, at the same time allowing different debuggers to be plugged in. Just an idea.

Attila.

Sunday, May 30, 2010, 11:23:35 PM, Jonathan Revusky wrote:

> Hi (mostly to Angelo),
>
> I (FINALLY) went through all the steps in your document wrote a
> test.ftl in the debug mode of the plugin and all of that.
>
> Well, it looks like a good start. Also, I assume that building on top
> of the DLTK project is very promising in terms of getting a more full
> featured tool than any previous plugin we had.
>
> One little piece of low-hanging fruit seems to be that there is no
> interaction with the Problems view in eclipse. I have to think that
> this is just something pending. Also, the ability to have syntax
> errors underlined (or highlighted somehow) in the text window would
> also seem attractive. One problem is that the way the current parser
> works is that it just stops when it hits any syntactical error and
> spits out a stack trace. This is normal behavior in actual usage, but
> in terms of writing a template in an editor, it would be better for it
> to keep going on errors so that you can highlight all the syntax
> errors in a file. At one point, I was actually playing with allowing
> an error recovery sort of parsing to support tools like this.
>
> A couple of general comments about going forward on this:
>
> There seems to be a need to be able to define an example data model
> that would be associated with a template for rendering purposes. I
> think actually maybe to be able to define it in YAML, for example,
> could be interesting. Though another way initially would be just to
> define it in FTL in a separate .ftl even if that could be a bit
> awkward.

I suppose writing a mock-up data-models is not something people will
do just to try templates. So I guess this is about giving some kind of
documentation of what the data-model meant to look, what variables are
available. Right?

2010/5/31 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:

>> There seems to be a need to be able to define an example data model
>> that would be associated with a template for rendering purposes. I
>> think actually maybe to be able to define it in YAML, for example,
>> could be interesting. Though another way initially would be just to
>> define it in FTL in a separate .ftl even if that could be a bit
>> awkward.
>
> I suppose writing a mock-up data-models is not something people will
> do just to try templates. So I guess this is about giving some kind of
> documentation of what the data-model meant to look, what variables are
> available. Right?

Well, I was only thinking about that aspect of things a little bit. My
thinking is that eventually you could have some kind of two-way
editing possible, where you edit the rendered page and the changes are
reflected back in the template. And, of course, you edit the template
and you immediately see the changes in the view.

But you need some kind of way of specifying some canonical data model,
like if there is a username variable in there, you arbitrarily make
that johnsmith or something and so on.

Actually, what you are talking about is maybe a bit more like a schema
for the data model, and I wasn't thinking in those terms. I was just
thinking about the possibility of having a canonical data model that
you specify for testing/preview purposes. Also debugging.

JR

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

Daniel Dekany
Monday, May 31, 2010, 3:08:48 PM, Jonathan Revusky wrote:

> 2010/5/31 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:
>>> There seems to be a need to be able to define an example data model
>>> that would be associated with a template for rendering purposes. I
>>> think actually maybe to be able to define it in YAML, for example,
>>> could be interesting. Though another way initially would be just to
>>> define it in FTL in a separate .ftl even if that could be a bit
>>> awkward.
>>
>> I suppose writing a mock-up data-models is not something people will
>> do just to try templates. So I guess this is about giving some kind of
>> documentation of what the data-model meant to look, what variables are
>> available. Right?
>
> Well, I was only thinking about that aspect of things a little bit.
> My thinking is that eventually you could have some kind of two-way
> editing possible, where you edit the rendered page and the changes
> are reflected back in the template. And, of course, you edit the
> template and you immediately see the changes in the view.

That requires the output to be "annotated" with where the output comes
from (source location). That I planned to do in a parallel
data-structure that is generated in parallel with the output (in my
engine), and then appended to at end of the output as a comment. That
I considered as a useful feature for fixing templates (to find out
where the piece of bad output comes from, if anyone knows that problem
in bigger systems). Anyway, it was never done, but that idea could
help here as well.

> But you need some kind of way of specifying some canonical data model,
> like if there is a username variable in there, you arbitrarily make
> that johnsmith or something and so on.
>
> Actually, what you are talking about is maybe a bit more like a schema
> for the data model, and I wasn't thinking in those terms. I was just
> thinking about the possibility of having a canonical data model that
> you specify for testing/preview purposes. Also debugging.

I don't doubt that in some applications that's useful, but then, many
real-world application has complex data-models. Think of CMS-es for
example... So, maybe it's a more viable approach to use the real
data-model (on the developement server) and then show the output in
Enclipse.

> JR

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi Attila,

2010/5/31 Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
[...]

My idea is to do that, but I'm using some classes of DLTK which provides helpfull classes wich manage DBGp like Base64Helper. I don't want modify classes from the trunk or 2.4 SVN. So I decided to create a new Java project (which is eclipse plugin, but it can be used as JAR). When I will finish (a lot of work again), you will see my work and we decide together if you wish integrate my work (we will see how do that to use too some DLTK classes).

Today to debug a template, the code

DebuggerService.registerTemplate(this);

is called into Template constructor, but I must change this code to manage any debugger. To debug old Freemarker version I have an idea : use Java Agent to change FM Template bytecode  and add my code.

Regards Angelo

Attila.

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi Jonathan, Daniel and Attila,

I would like know what is your decision about Freemarker 3.0 and 2.4. I know you have spoken about this topic a lot, but I don't know your decision. I think it's possible to manage the 2 versions BUT between 3.0 and 2.4, packages are note the same and it's very shame, because we cannot use the same code. The big problem is about freemarker.core (2.4) package and freemarker.core.ast (3.0) package. For instance you have

* freemarker.core.TemplateElement (2.4).
* freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement (3.0).

For the moment, my plugin is based on Freemarker 3.0, but if toy change packages, I think we could use the DBGp debugger for 2.4 and 3.0.

I'm using Java5 code into my debugger. Is it OK with that?

Tank's for your answer.

Regards Angelo

Thursday, June 3, 2010, 2:27:57 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, Daniel and Attila,
>
> I would like know what is your decision about Freemarker 3.0 and
> 2.4. I know you have spoken about this topic a lot, but I don't know
> your decision.

There's no decision. There is a somewhat higher chance that 3.0 will
be released someday, however.

So, I wonder, how big work it would be to re-write the plugin to 2.4
later, if things turn out to be sour with 3.0? Because, I guess, most
of the development time is spent figuring out and satisfying the
Eclipse API-s, not FreeMarker.

> I think it's possible to manage the 2 versions BUT
> between 3.0 and 2.4, packages are note the same and it's very shame,
> because we cannot use the same code. The big problem is about
> freemarker.core (2.4) package and freemarker.core.ast (3.0) package. For instance you have
>
> * freemarker.core.TemplateElement (2.4).
> * freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement (3.0).
>
> For the moment, my plugin is based on Freemarker 3.0, but if toy
> change packages, I think we could use the DBGp debugger for 2.4 and 3.0.
>
> I'm using Java5 code into my debugger. Is it OK with that?

If it won't make FreeMarker Java 5 dependent when no debugging is
used, then it's surely OK. Otherwise it's still most probably OK.
FreeMarker 3.0 surely requires Java 5, so no problem there. If you
finally has to fall back to FreeMarker 2.4, I think you are still OK,
because 2.4 will certainly require Java 5 too.

On 2010.06.03., at 14:27, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, Daniel and Attila,
>
> I would like know what is your decision about Freemarker 3.0 and 2.4. I know you have spoken about this topic a lot, but I don't know your decision. I think it's possible to manage the 2 versions BUT between 3.0 and 2.4, packages are note the same and it's very shame, because we cannot use the same code. The big problem is about freemarker.core (2.4) package and freemarker.core.ast (3.0) package. For instance you have
>
> * freemarker.core.TemplateElement (2.4).
> * freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement (3.0).
>
> For the moment, my plugin is based on Freemarker 3.0, but if toy change packages, I think we could use the DBGp debugger for 2.4 and 3.0.

For now, keep with 3.0, I'd say.

> I'm using Java5 code into my debugger. Is it OK with that?

Absolutely. Neither 2.4 nor 3.0 will be pre-Java 5.

Attila.

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi,

Just for your information, I have commited my work about DBGP Freemarker (sorry for the comments, I must do that). I must manage/improve a lot of things! You can add/remove breakpint to the editor and suspend the editor when you do Debug As Freemarker. I have commited new projects. Every think is explained into https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/docs/DLTK-Freemarker%20-%20Eclipse%20Plugin.odt

Regards Angelo

http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi

For information I have managed <#import directive with Freemarker debug. The Freemarker debugger can swap to the imported FTL. I have modified the documentation Every thing is explained into https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/docs/DLTK-Freemarker%20-%20Eclipse%20Plugin.odt
You can see screenshot of this new feature.

Regards Angelo

2010/6/7 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Just for your information, I have commited my work about DBGP Freemarker (sorry for the comments, I must do that). I must manage/improve a lot of things! You can add/remove breakpint to the editor and suspend the editor when you do Debug As Freemarker. I have commited new projects. Every think is explained into https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/docs/DLTK-Freemarker%20-%20Eclipse%20Plugin.odt

Regards Angelo

2010/6/6 Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>

On 2010.06.03., at 14:27, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, Daniel and Attila,
>
> I would like know what is your decision about Freemarker 3.0 and 2.4. I know you have spoken about this topic a lot, but I don't know your decision. I think it's possible to manage the 2 versions BUT between 3.0 and 2.4, packages are note the same and it's very shame, because we cannot use the same code. The big problem is about freemarker.core (2.4) package and freemarker.core.ast (3.0) package. For instance you have
>
> * freemarker.core.TemplateElement (2.4).
> * freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement (3.0).
>
> For the moment, my plugin is based on Freemarker 3.0, but if toy change packages, I think we could use the DBGp debugger for 2.4 and 3.0.

For now, keep with 3.0, I'd say.

> I'm using Java5 code into my debugger. Is it OK with that?

Absolutely. Neither 2.4 nor 3.0 will be pre-Java 5.

Attila.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo

Re: New FreeMarker plugin code

angelozerr
Hi,

For information I have commited my work and now you have  a "Freemarker Preview" View, which give you the capability to show you the preview of the FTL template that you user is typping at runtime (Template#process is done each time the user type something (this is done into background into Thread)). This View looks like JavaDoc View.
You can see screenshot into https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/docs/DLTK-Freemarker%20-%20Eclipse%20Plugin.odt (see section Freemarker Preview).

Regards Angelo