Quantcast

Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Virenerus
Hey,
the Freemarker Editor for Eclipse is sadly not working for me in the current version with a fresh Eclipse installation. I hope the Jboss guys will fix this soon. I created a very simple syntax highlighting Editor in the meantime. Maybe you can link it on your page in case someone else has problems with the JBoss editor.

Regards,
Manuel

Re: Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Daniel Dekany
Thanks, I will check it out.

As of the JBoss guys fixing stuff... most certainly that plugin will
only be fixed if the users of the plugin contribute with fixes. It's
an OS project on GitHub. So I'm not sure if it's good investment to
write a new one instead of fixing the JBoss one, but of course
everyone does what he feels like in his free time.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6:37:11 PM, Virenerus wrote:

> Hey,
> the Freemarker Editor for Eclipse is sadly not working for me in
> the current version with a fresh Eclipse installation. I hope the
> Jboss guys will fix this soon. I created a very simple syntax
> highlighting Editor in the meantime. Maybe you can link it on your
> page in case someone else has problems with the JBoss editor.
>
> Regards,
> Manuel

Re: Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Virenerus

Oh, I didn't know that. Out of some reasons I always thought jboss is a company. I will look into fixing it.

Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 22. Jan. 2015 20:35:
Thanks, I will check it out.

As of the JBoss guys fixing stuff... most certainly that plugin will
only be fixed if the users of the plugin contribute with fixes. It's
an OS project on GitHub. So I'm not sure if it's good investment to
write a new one instead of fixing the JBoss one, but of course
everyone does what he feels like in his free time.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6:37:11 PM, Virenerus wrote:

> Hey,
> the Freemarker Editor for Eclipse is sadly not working for me in
> the current version with a fresh Eclipse installation. I hope the
> Jboss guys will fix this soon. I created a very simple syntax
> highlighting Editor in the meantime. Maybe you can link it on your
> page in case someone else has problems with the JBoss editor.
>
> Regards,
> Manuel

Re: Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Some instructions on how to build/install this would be nice... I
guess I'm supposed to import this in Eclipse in some plugin
development mode or something (never worked on plugins...), but
anyway, if I will link this, it should be installable for average
developers somehow.

Thursday, January 22, 2015, 8:47:10 PM, Manuel Hegner wrote:

> Oh, I didn't know that. Out of some reasons I always thought jboss
> is a company. I will look into fixing it.

That would be a big help for FreeMarker! Not having a working Eclipse
plugin is a huge problem.

> Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 22. Jan. 2015 20:35:
>
> Thanks, I will check it out.
>
>  As of the JBoss guys fixing stuff... most certainly that plugin will
>  only be fixed if the users of the plugin contribute with fixes. It's
>  an OS project on GitHub. So I'm not sure if it's good investment to
>  write a new one instead of fixing the JBoss one, but of course
>  everyone does what he feels like in his free time.
>

>  Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6:37:11 PM, Virenerus wrote:
>
 >> Hey,
 >> the Freemarker Editor for Eclipse is sadly not working for me in
 >> the current version with a fresh Eclipse installation. I hope the
 >> Jboss guys will fix this soon. I created a very simple syntax
 >> highlighting Editor in the meantime. Maybe you can link it on your
 >> page in case someone else has problems with the JBoss editor.
 >>
 >> Regards,
 >> Manuel
>  --
>  Thanks,
>   Daniel Dekany

Re: Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Greg Amerson
Angelo Zerr has started some work towards a possible new freemarker editor based on the StructuredTextEditor framework in Eclipse.  You can see the start of the effort here:

The idea is that if your template output target is some other structured content (like html/css/javascript) then building a freemarker editor on top of SSE would be a good way to go.  That way once you get your editor working and if you are building a template that targets html (biggest freemarker usecase maybe?)  then this type of editor would be automatically get html/css/javascript parsing/validation/content-assist all for free from HTML SSE editor.

Anyone else interested in this approach?  We at Liferay are interested in contributing towards this effort.  Anyone else?

We can discuss more of the technical aspects of this project in a separate thread if anyone else is interested, just let me know and maybe we can setup a google group around it, etc.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thursday, January 22, 2015, 8:47:10 PM, Manuel Hegner wrote:

> Oh, I didn't know that. Out of some reasons I always thought jboss
> is a company. I will look into fixing it.

That would be a big help for FreeMarker! Not having a working Eclipse
plugin is a huge problem.

> Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 22. Jan. 2015 20:35:
>
> Thanks, I will check it out.
>
>  As of the JBoss guys fixing stuff... most certainly that plugin will
>  only be fixed if the users of the plugin contribute with fixes. It's
>  an OS project on GitHub. So I'm not sure if it's good investment to
>  write a new one instead of fixing the JBoss one, but of course
>  everyone does what he feels like in his free time.
>

>  Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 6:37:11 PM, Virenerus wrote:
>
 >> Hey,
 >> the Freemarker Editor for Eclipse is sadly not working for me in
 >> the current version with a fresh Eclipse installation. I hope the
 >> Jboss guys will fix this soon. I created a very simple syntax
 >> highlighting Editor in the meantime. Maybe you can link it on your
 >> page in case someone else has problems with the JBoss editor.
 >>
 >> Regards,
 >> Manuel
>  --
>  Thanks,
>   Daniel Dekany

Greg Amerson
Liferay Developer Tools
Liferay, Inc. www.liferay.com

Re: Freemarker Editor for Eclipse

Daniel Dekany
As of me, if I had a time machine, then I would help. However, I try
to push forward core development in the little time I find for FM
(there's like infinite amount of ASAP stuff there... I intend to
switch to more aggressive mode and solve those). Tooling is equally
important, and that's where others can realistically contribute, not
core development. So, yeah, everyone please feel encouraged to
contribute to plugin development. (: