FreeMarker's usage of com.sun.* packages and JDK9

FreeMarker's usage of com.sun.* packages and JDK9

Christopher BROWN
Hello,

I just ran the "jdeps" tool against FreeMarker 2.3.23 and it identified the following incompatible package usage as of JDK9 :

jdeps freemarker.jar | grep 'JDK internal'
      -> com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.utils              JDK internal API (rt.jar)
      -> com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal                  JDK internal API (rt.jar)
      -> com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.objects          JDK internal API (rt.jar)

Any plans to fix this?

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: FreeMarker's usage of com.sun.* packages and JDK9

Daniel Dekany
Does it actually cause error on JDK 9?

Note that FreeMarker only uses those com.sun packages if Xalan
(org.apache.xpath specifically) is not in the class path. If neither
is found, it just disables XPath support in its DOM wrapper, which
will cause error when a template tries to use XPath. (Also if someone
configures FM to use Jaxen, it won't look for any of these.)

Anyway, it might worth reviewing if on modern Java versions the
desired functionality has become part of the public XML API-s. But
there's not such activity going on right now.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 1:27:45 PM, Christopher BROWN wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just ran the "jdeps" tool against FreeMarker 2.3.23 and it
> identified the following incompatible package usage as of JDK9 :
>
> jdeps freemarker.jar | grep 'JDK internal'
>       -> com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.utils              JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>       -> com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal                  JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>       -> com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.objects          JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>
> Refer to:
> https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Adoption/JDK+9+Outreach#JDK9Outreach-Runjdepsonyourcode
>
> Any plans to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher

Re: FreeMarker's usage of com.sun.* packages and JDK9

Christopher BROWN
I don't use this feature of FreeMarker, so I haven't had any bother with it.  Just thought I'd let you know, having run "jdeps" on FreeMarker (and other dependencies).

Hope that helps someone,
Christopher