Quantcast

FreeMarker library page addition

Daniel DeGroff
I’ve written a BBCode to HTML parser using FreeMarker for use in a product I’m developing.

Currently it only supports BBCode to HTML using FreeMarker as the transformer, however additional parsers may be added.
This may be useful or interesting to other FreeMarker users.

https://github.com/inversoft/prime-transformer

Thanks.

Daniel DeGroff
Senior Software Engineer Inversoft Inc

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

Problem is, this is technically not an FTL library, so it doesn't fit
into that section. (Too bad, because then suddenly we had twice as
many entires there... (; ) An FTL library in FreeMarker is like a JSP
taglib in JSP. That is, users can re-use the macros/functions in it in
their own FTL "pages", regardless of framework.

Software that builds substantially on FreeMarker and has a user base
of reasonable size can appear on http://freemarker.org/poweredBy.html
though.

Monday, July 14, 2014, 4:08:35 PM, Daniel DeGroff wrote:

> I’ve written a BBCode to HTML parser using FreeMarker for use in a product I’m developing.
>
> Currently it only supports BBCode to HTML using FreeMarker as the
> transformer, however additional parsers may be added.
> This may be useful or interesting to other FreeMarker users.
>
> https://github.com/inversoft/prime-transformer
>
> Thanks.
>
> Daniel DeGroff
> Senior Software Engineer | Inversoft Inc

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

Raymond Auge
Liferay Portal (www.liferay.com) uses freemarker extensively for many generations now, for:

- themes (look and feel of entire site)
- layout templates (page structure)
- web content (fragments of structured content)
- entity templates (customizing entity application views)
- email template
- portlet views
- service builder (Liferay's code generation framework)

- Ray

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Problem is, this is technically not an FTL library, so it doesn't fit
into that section. (Too bad, because then suddenly we had twice as
many entires there... (; ) An FTL library in FreeMarker is like a JSP
taglib in JSP. That is, users can re-use the macros/functions in it in
their own FTL "pages", regardless of framework.

Software that builds substantially on FreeMarker and has a user base
of reasonable size can appear on http://freemarker.org/poweredBy.html
though.

Monday, July 14, 2014, 4:08:35 PM, Daniel DeGroff wrote:

> I’ve written a BBCode to HTML parser using FreeMarker for use in a product I’m developing.
>
> Currently it only supports BBCode to HTML using FreeMarker as the
> transformer, however additional parsers may be added.
> This may be useful or interesting to other FreeMarker users.
>
> https://github.com/inversoft/prime-transformer
>
> Thanks.
>
> Daniel DeGroff
> Senior Software Engineer | Inversoft Inc

Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect
Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

Daniel DeGroff
That would be great. It looks like that page lists the same address to request addition to that page. ([hidden email])
Do you need additional information regarding the library to post an entry on the Powered By page?

Thanks for the help.

Daniel DeGroff
Senior Software Engineer Inversoft Inc

On Jul 15, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

How's this (redacted from a much more sales-y text).

"Liferay Portal is the leading open source web portal platform. Used in nearly every industry and widely adopted by the world’s leading enterprises for a broad set of solutions.

Liferay Portal, which began as an open source project in 2001, is a Java-based web development platform that can be used to meet a wide set of enterprise needs, such as:

·         Personalized Websites
·         Self-Service Portals
·         Online Communities
·         Franchised Business Portals
·         Role Based Websites
·         Collaboration / Coordination Websites

Applications range in size from intranet work group solutions to multimillion-user websites.  Liferay is also used to power innovative, rich UI websites as well as for highly secure, mission-critical financial and government installations.  Due to the platform’s agility and strong support for industry innovations and standards, Liferay Portal is also highly regarded by developers, software architects and administrators.

Liferay Portal’s lightweight platform includes multiple core services out-of-the-box, along with the ability to extend or enhance services and to integrate with external systems.  The core services include portal, web content management, document management, application integration and social collaboration."

- Ray

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:05:35 PM, Raymond Auge wrote:

> Liferay Portal (www.liferay.com) uses freemarker extensively for many generations now, for:
>
> - themes (look and feel of entire site)
> - layout templates (page structure)
> - web content (fragments of structured content)
> - entity templates (customizing entity application views)
> - email template
> - portlet views
> - service builder (Liferay's code generation framework)

I show Liferay happily on http://freemarker.org/poweredBy.html if you
allow that. You should give a product description that you want to see
there (500 characters or less).

Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect
Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

Only what the page says on the top: a short description (max. 250
chars, except for huge frameworks). However, I try to keep an entry
bar (however inconsistently that was maintained in the past...),
because otherwise it would become a link farm of random short lived
projects. It's difficult to manage without offending people etc., but
somehow it must be done. So I will check out the product next week and
we will see.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 3:21:46 AM, Daniel DeGroff wrote:

> That would be great. It looks like that page lists the same address
> to request addition to that page.
> ([hidden email])
> Do you need additional information regarding the library to post an entry on the Powered By page?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>

> Daniel DeGroff
> Senior Software Engineer | Inversoft Inc
>
> On Jul 15, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Problem is, this is technically not an FTL library, so it doesn't fit
> into that section. (Too bad, because then suddenly we had twice as
> many entires there... (; ) An FTL library in FreeMarker is like a JSP
> taglib in JSP. That is, users can re-use the macros/functions in it in
> their own FTL "pages", regardless of framework.
>
> Software that builds substantially on FreeMarker and has a user base
> of reasonable size can appear on http://freemarker.org/poweredBy.html
> though.

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

It should be around 500 chars, and one paragraph. Also it should tell
what it uses FreeMarker for. Something like:

Liferay Portal is one of the most widely adapted enterprise portal
solutions. It's free and open source with optional enterprise
subscription. It leverages existing technologies and standards in its
stack where reasonable. It has strong focus on modularity,
extensibility, and integration with other systems. Core services
include Enterprise Content Management, document management, workflow
integration, users/roles, web publishing. Entire portals may be built
solely using the web UI and available components. It uses FreeMarker
for themes, page layout, fragments of structured content, email,
portlet views, code generation.

BTW, as it uses FM for so much things, it would be good the hear about
what are the most frequent complains. (I think I have a pretty good
picture after 10 years of FM support (and much little time to fix
them, sadly), but still...)

Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 10:32:22 PM, Raymond Auge wrote:

> How's this (redacted from a much more sales-y text).
>
> "Liferay Portal is the leading open source web portal platform.
> Used in nearly every industry and widely adopted by the world’s
> leading enterprises for a broad set of solutions.
>
> Liferay Portal, which began as an open source project in 2001, is a
> Java-based web development platform that can be used to meet a wide set of enterprise needs, such as:
>
> ·         Personalized Websites
> ·         Self-Service Portals
> ·         Online Communities
> ·         Franchised Business Portals
> ·         Role Based Websites
> ·         Collaboration / Coordination Websites
>
> Applications range in size from intranet work group solutions to
> multimillion-user websites.  Liferay is also used to power
> innovative, rich UI websites as well as for highly secure,
> mission-critical financial and government installations.  Due to the
> platform’s agility and strong support for industry innovations and
> standards, Liferay Portal is also highly regarded by developers,
> software architects and administrators.
>
> Liferay Portal’s lightweight platform includes multiple core
> services out-of-the-box, along with the ability to extend or enhance
> services and to integrate with external systems.  The core services
> include portal, web content management, document management,
> application integration and social collaboration."
>
> - Ray
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:05:35 PM, Raymond Auge wrote:
>
>> Liferay Portal (www.liferay.com) uses freemarker extensively for many generations now, for:
>>
>> - themes (look and feel of entire site)
>> - layout templates (page structure)
>> - web content (fragments of structured content)
>> - entity templates (customizing entity application views)
>> - email template
>> - portlet views
>> - service builder (Liferay's code generation framework)
>
> I show Liferay happily on http://freemarker.org/poweredBy.html if you
> allow that. You should give a product description that you want to see
> there (500 characters or less).

Re: FreeMarker library page addition

Raymond Auge
I like that text Daniel. Feel free to use it.

As for complaints, quite honestly, we don't have that many :)

This speaks highly of it's usability and reliability.

I would say that mainly they would be classed in these areas (remember that the frequency of these are VERY low.. I may here of these less than once or twice per year):

- performance and memory management: our performance gurus sometimes bring it up but this is when they really have very little else to complain about, i.e. they will always have something to complain about, but generally there are much more legitimate ones than freemarker. So here it would be extreme like: "freemarker is not as fast as pure java.."

- development and tooling. While there are pretty decent tools, they aren't very advanced, and debugging and is quite difficult. I think this has even been discussed here already in several threads so I wouldn't consider it as not already covered

- integration with JSP taglibs: (very important for us) the need for freemarker syntax for taglibs means porting from jsp is tedious.

Also, I can pass this question onto our product management team/community leader and ask them if they have/or could collect any feedback on it.

Sincerely,
- Ray