FM vs GSP

Vladimir Olenin
I wonder if anyone here tried to use GSP (Groovy Server Pages: http://groovy.codehaus.org/GSP)? I had a quick look and from what I saw it comes quite close to FM in terms of functionality, and has some very nice Groovy adds-ons (like ability to use closures in expressions).

Putting aside syntax aspect (GSP is fully XML compliant and therefore in some places is a bit more verbose than FM), how this two technologies compare? Has anyone tried the GSP in production/near-production projects?..

Just curious.....

Vlad

PS: GSP doesn't seem to have the notation similar to FM's 'TemplateModel', probably there is some comparable substitute?..

Re: FM vs GSP

YoavShapira
Hi,
I haven't tried GSP so I can't comment on the details of the
technology.  But I'm aware of it and have used Groovy in the past: the
reason I wouldn't even start with GSP now has to do with maturity and
support, like this list.

http://google.com/trends?q=freemarker%2Cgsp

Yoav

Thursday, August 17, 2006, 3:56:51 PM, Vladimir Olenin wrote:

> I wonder if anyone  here tried to use GSP (Groovy Server Pages:
> http://groovy.codehaus.org/GSP)? I had  a quick look and from what I
> saw it comes quite close to FM in terms of  functionality, and has
> some very nice Groovy adds-ons (like ability to use  closures in expressions).
>
> Putting aside syntax  aspect (GSP is fully XML compliant and
> therefore in some places is a  bit more verbose than FM), how this
> two technologies compare? Has anyone  tried the GSP in
> production/near-production  projects?..
>
> Just  curious.....

I have looked at it for a moment, but it seems to me that it is like
JSP 1.x, i.e. it's not MVC oriented. I'm not saying at all that there
is no need for non-MVC template languages, but since FM is MVC
oriented their use cases are different.

> Vlad
>

> PS: GSP doesn't seem  to have the notation similar to FM's
> 'TemplateModel', probably there is some  comparable substitute?..

I guess it just uses the type system of Groovy...