Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Attila Szegedi
Jon,

what's up with Environment.getKnownVariableNames()? You axed its
implementation in 2.4 to "return Collections.EMPTY_SET" - could you
restore it?. There's a guy named over at forums who posted few messages
stating that he started experimenting with writing an Eclipse GUI for
FreeMarker's built-in remote debugger that I wrote few years ago, and as
it happens, the debugger does in fact rely quite much on
Environment.getKnownVariableNames(), so it'd be great to have that
functional again.

Attila.

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Max Rydahl Andersen

What forums ? :)

And what debugger for eclipse ? :)

> Jon,
>
> what's up with Environment.getKnownVariableNames()? You axed its
> implementation in 2.4 to "return Collections.EMPTY_SET" - could you
> restore it?. There's a guy named over at forums who posted few messages
> stating that he started experimenting with writing an Eclipse GUI for
> FreeMarker's built-in remote debugger that I wrote few years ago, and as
> it happens, the debugger does in fact rely quite much on
> Environment.getKnownVariableNames(), so it'd be great to have that
> functional again.
>
> Attila.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
[hidden email]
http://hibernate.org

JBoss a division of Red Hat

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Attila Szegedi

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3919491

> And what debugger for eclipse ? :)

Well, FreeMarker has one not really widely publicized feature I wrote more
than three years ago and that's shipping in freemarker.jar since - a
remote debugger. It is in freemarker.debug package and allows FreeMarker
templates running in one JVM to be debugged by a debugger agent running in
another, over a TCP connection. There just aren't any debugger agents yet,
and this guy seems like he wants to write one for Eclipse.

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Max Rydahl Andersen
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:42:37 +0200, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:45:24 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> What forums ? :)
>
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3919491
>

>> And what debugger for eclipse ? :)
>
> Well, FreeMarker has one not really widely publicized feature I wrote
> more
> than three years ago and that's shipping in freemarker.jar since - a
> remote debugger. It is in freemarker.debug package and allows FreeMarker
> templates running in one JVM to be debugged by a debugger agent running
> in
> another, over a TCP connection. There just aren't any debugger agents
> yet,
> and this guy seems like he wants to write one for Eclipse.

I have seen the debugger api, but never a debugger for it ;)

Maybe he would like to contribute it to the existing FreeMarker IDE ?

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
[hidden email]
http://hibernate.org

JBoss a division of Red Hat

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Attila Szegedi
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:45:52 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe he would like to contribute it to the existing FreeMarker IDE ?

Well, ask him :-)

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

Attila Szegedi
Ok, I looked at the Scope interface and figured out how to implement
getKnownVariableNames() in 2.4.

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:40:36 +0200, Attila Szegedi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Jon,
>
> what's up with Environment.getKnownVariableNames()? You axed its
> implementation in 2.4 to "return Collections.EMPTY_SET" - could you
> restore it?. There's a guy named over at forums who posted few messages
> stating that he started experimenting with writing an Eclipse GUI for
> FreeMarker's built-in remote debugger that I wrote few years ago, and as
> it happens, the debugger does in fact rely quite much on
> Environment.getKnownVariableNames(), so it'd be great to have that
> functional again.
>
> Attila.

Re: Environment.getKnownVariableNames()

revusky
Attila Szegedi wrote:
> Ok, I looked at the Scope interface and figured out how to implement
> getKnownVariableNames() in 2.4.
>
> Attila.

Okay, that's good to hear. In all the refactoring I did, I guess I left
various loose ends lying around and this was one of them. It didn't seem
urgent, since nobody was using the debugger API.

It's good to see that you are getting into the code.

Jonathan