DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

Daniel Dekany
I made the latest *bare-bone* FreeMarker build available on this
Eclipse update site:

  http://freemarker.org/eclipse/freemarker/

Thus, Angelo, you should now delete the org.freemarker package from
the DLTK plugin, and instead declare the above as a required
dependency, and that's it.

The update site generation is not automated in Ant yet. This one was
hand-made by me. But I will automate it later... seems to be easy.

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

angelozerr
Hi Daniel,

Ok I will change that as soon as possible. I would like just finish
and commit my work about Syntax Coloring before.

Regards Angelo

2010/7/30 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:

> I made the latest *bare-bone* FreeMarker build available on this
> Eclipse update site:
>
>  http://freemarker.org/eclipse/freemarker/
>
> Thus, Angelo, you should now delete the org.freemarker package from
> the DLTK plugin, and instead declare the above as a required
> dependency, and that's it.
>
> The update site generation is not automated in Ant yet. This one was
> hand-made by me. But I will automate it later... seems to be easy.

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

angelozerr
Hi Daniel,

I have installed your Freemarker plugin but I have several compilation
problems.
My org.freemarker  plugin contains a Freemarker JAR bult with
https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/trunk/freemarker

source. I have the impression that your plugin don't use this source?
I have synchronized my project with SVN but the only changed I haved
is SLF4 features. Here my errors :

1. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/freemarker.provisionnal/src/freemarker/provisionnal/template/DebuggableConfigurationWrapper.java

This class wrap Configuration to manage debug with the new API Debug.
This class should be not exist but I'm waiting for Attila answer to
validate the Debug API
(http://freemarker.624813.n4.nabble.com/FM-Debugger-Improvement-td2294149.html).

1.1 Access restriction: The type Scope is not accessible due to
restriction on required library
D:\eclipses\eclipse-rcp-helios-win32\eclipse\plugins\org.freemarker.freemarker_3.0.0.pre02-nightly_2010_07_30_08_51_09.jar

1.2 The method getBooleanFormat(boolean) from the type Configurable is
not visible

... and more erros....

2. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker.core/src/org/eclipse/dltk/freemarker/internal/core/parser/FreemarkerSourceParser.java

// Template was built, get the FM Root.
root = template.getRootTreeNode();

wher root is freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement

has compilation error : Type mismatch: cannot convert from
freemarker.core.TemplateElement to freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement

Thanks for your help.

Regards Angelo
2010/7/31 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Ok I will change that as soon as possible. I would like just finish
> and commit my work about Syntax Coloring before.
>
> Regards Angelo
>
> 2010/7/30 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:
>> I made the latest *bare-bone* FreeMarker build available on this
>> Eclipse update site:
>>
>>  http://freemarker.org/eclipse/freemarker/
>>
>> Thus, Angelo, you should now delete the org.freemarker package from
>> the DLTK plugin, and instead declare the above as a required
>> dependency, and that's it.
>>
>> The update site generation is not automated in Ant yet. This one was
>> hand-made by me. But I will automate it later... seems to be easy.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Daniel Dekany

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

angelozerr
Oooops forget my post. I'm very sorry it's my fault. The JBoss
Freemarker Plugin cause problems. Now I have use Required Plug-ins
(instead of import package) it works great. I must just change teh
freemarker.provisionnal.tests (JUnit Test) to trransform it to plugins
and after I will remove org.freemarker project.

Sorry for my disturb.

Regards Angelo

2010/8/2 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I have installed your Freemarker plugin but I have several compilation
> problems.
> My org.freemarker  plugin contains a Freemarker JAR bult with
> https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/trunk/freemarker
>
> source. I have the impression that your plugin don't use this source?
> I have synchronized my project with SVN but the only changed I haved
> is SLF4 features. Here my errors :
>
> 1. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/freemarker.provisionnal/src/freemarker/provisionnal/template/DebuggableConfigurationWrapper.java
>
> This class wrap Configuration to manage debug with the new API Debug.
> This class should be not exist but I'm waiting for Attila answer to
> validate the Debug API
> (http://freemarker.624813.n4.nabble.com/FM-Debugger-Improvement-td2294149.html).
>
> 1.1 Access restriction: The type Scope is not accessible due to
> restriction on required library
> D:\eclipses\eclipse-rcp-helios-win32\eclipse\plugins\org.freemarker.freemarker_3.0.0.pre02-nightly_2010_07_30_08_51_09.jar
>
> 1.2 The method getBooleanFormat(boolean) from the type Configurable is
> not visible
>
> ... and more erros....
>
> 2. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker.core/src/org/eclipse/dltk/freemarker/internal/core/parser/FreemarkerSourceParser.java
>
> // Template was built, get the FM Root.
> root = template.getRootTreeNode();
>
> wher root is freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>
> has compilation error : Type mismatch: cannot convert from
> freemarker.core.TemplateElement to freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards Angelo
> 2010/7/31 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Ok I will change that as soon as possible. I would like just finish
>> and commit my work about Syntax Coloring before.
>>
>> Regards Angelo
>>
>> 2010/7/30 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:
>>> I made the latest *bare-bone* FreeMarker build available on this
>>> Eclipse update site:
>>>
>>>  http://freemarker.org/eclipse/freemarker/
>>>
>>> Thus, Angelo, you should now delete the org.freemarker package from
>>> the DLTK plugin, and instead declare the above as a required
>>> dependency, and that's it.
>>>
>>> The update site generation is not automated in Ant yet. This one was
>>> hand-made by me. But I will automate it later... seems to be easy.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>>  Daniel Dekany

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

angelozerr
Daniel it should be cool if we could install Freemarker Bundle OSGi
with Java source. When you install the bundle you could have :

Freemarker
 -> Freemarker Core
 -> Freemarker Core SDK

If user select  -> Freemarker Core SDK, it will instal Freemarker with
source. So after with PDE Plugin-s View, you can select the freemarker
plugin +  Right Click + Import As Source Project and project will be
importted with source. So after you can debug Freemarker Core (Very
usefull when you develop a Freemarker Plugin).

Monday, August 2, 2010, 12:14:36 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Oooops forget my post. I'm very sorry it's my fault. The JBoss
> Freemarker Plugin cause problems. Now I have use Required Plug-ins
> (instead of import package) it works great.

Note that you can also keep using "import package" as far as you
specify the version number. (In the FreeMarker bundle packages are
versioned too, not only the bundle.)

> I must just change teh freemarker.provisionnal.tests (JUnit Test) to
> trransform it to plugins and after I will remove org.freemarker
> project.
>
> Sorry for my disturb.
>
> Regards Angelo
>
> 2010/8/2 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I have installed your Freemarker plugin but I have several compilation
>> problems.
>> My org.freemarker  plugin contains a Freemarker JAR bult with
>> https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/trunk/freemarker
>>
>> source. I have the impression that your plugin don't use this source?
>> I have synchronized my project with SVN but the only changed I haved
>> is SLF4 features. Here my errors :
>>
>> 1. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/freemarker.provisionnal/src/freemarker/provisionnal/template/DebuggableConfigurationWrapper.java
>>
>> This class wrap Configuration to manage debug with the new API Debug.
>> This class should be not exist but I'm waiting for Attila answer to
>> validate the Debug API
>> (http://freemarker.624813.n4.nabble.com/FM-Debugger-Improvement-td2294149.html).
>>
>> 1.1 Access restriction: The type Scope is not accessible due to
>> restriction on required library
>> D:\eclipses\eclipse-rcp-helios-win32\eclipse\plugins\org.freemarker.freemarker_3.0.0.pre02-nightly_2010_07_30_08_51_09.jar
>>
>> 1.2 The method getBooleanFormat(boolean) from the type Configurable is
>> not visible
>>
>> ... and more erros....
>>
>> 2. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker.core/src/org/eclipse/dltk/freemarker/internal/core/parser/FreemarkerSourceParser.java
>>
>> // Template was built, get the FM Root.
>> root = template.getRootTreeNode();
>>
>> wher root is freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>>
>> has compilation error : Type mismatch: cannot convert from
>> freemarker.core.TemplateElement to freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Regards Angelo
>> 2010/7/31 Angelo zerr <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> Ok I will change that as soon as possible. I would like just finish
>>> and commit my work about Syntax Coloring before.
>>>
>>> Regards Angelo

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

OK, I will look into this.

Monday, August 2, 2010, 3:50:15 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> [...]

>>> 1.2 The method getBooleanFormat(boolean) from the type Configurable is
>>> not visible
>>>
>>> ... and more erros....
>>>
>>> 2. https://freemarker.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freemarker/sandbox/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker/org.eclipse.dltk.freemarker.core/src/org/eclipse/dltk/freemarker/internal/core/parser/FreemarkerSourceParser.java
>>>
>>> // Template was built, get the FM Root.
>>> root = template.getRootTreeNode();
>>>
>>> wher root is freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>>>
>>> has compilation error : Type mismatch: cannot convert from
>>> freemarker.core.TemplateElement to freemarker.core.ast.TemplateElement
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Regards Angelo

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

Yes I know that. Use Import-Package is more clean but Required-Bundle
is less noring to use. Import Package is interesting to use if
Freemarker bundle could be splitted into several bundles. I think no?

IMHO I think Freemarker bundle should be splitted into several bundles
(freemarker.core, freemarker.rhino, freemarker.python...) You use
optionnal resolution to manage dependencies of another bundle. Ex :

org.mozilla.javascript;resolution:=optional,

It works great but you can not check with PDE that
org.mozilla.javascript; bundle miss into the Target Platform when you
wish use Rhino. Spring ORM works like this (it support several ORM
framework (JPA, Hibernate.....) and it's awfull to find the required
bundles that you need. It's just a bad experience I had with optionnal
resolution.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 10:43:59 AM, Angelo zerr wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Yes I know that. Use Import-Package is more clean but Required-Bundle
> is less noring to use.

That's however mostly because the IDE (Eclipse) has no proper support
for OSGi development yet. Yes, Eclipse itself is heavily based on
OSGi, but they historically stick to bundle-granularity, so PDE is not
a general purpose OSGi developer environment. But things can change
for good as Spring-DM becomes more popular... like, I believe, the
Spring plug-in now comes with something like "bnd" integrated, called
"bundlor". I haven't tried it yet though...

> Import Package is interesting to use if Freemarker bundle could be
> splitted into several bundles. I think no?

I think the idea of the OSGi people with Import-Package was that you
don't need crazy number of bundles, yet you can achieve some kind of
very-fine-granularity dependency management. Splitting a product to
small enough bundles for all possible use-cases would be nearly
impossible. Like, what if someone just uses yourproduct.utils from the
whole product... things like that... you either can't foresee these,
or you end up one bundle per package, which would be insane in
practice. But of course too big bundles are bad too, defeat
modularity... it's just I don't think FM is too big. For the users,
it's just one unit: FreeMarker.

> IMHO I think Freemarker bundle should be splitted into several bundles
> (freemarker.core, freemarker.rhino, freemarker.python...) You use
> optionnal resolution to manage dependencies of another bundle. Ex :
>
> org.mozilla.javascript;resolution:=optional,
>
> It works great but you can not check with PDE that
> org.mozilla.javascript; bundle miss into the Target Platform when you
> wish use Rhino. Spring ORM works like this (it support several ORM
> framework (JPA, Hibernate.....) and it's awfull to find the required
> bundles that you need. It's just a bad experience I had with optionnal
> resolution.

Having several jar-s instead of a single freemarker.jar is also a
PITA, especially since most environments won't just download all the
required FM-pieces for you automatically. (Plus in the case of FM
freemarker.jar is used for non-OSGi too... Of course we could have a
two kind binary releases, but you see where does it lead; more
complications here, more confusion on the user side). And, let's take
the case of using Rhyno with FM as an example. If the application
doesn't use Rhyno, then FM will not want to use it either, as it
doesn't receive Rhyno objects. If the application wants to expose
Rhyno objects to FM, Rhyno is most certainly a *required* dependency
of the *application*, and hence FM will find Rhyno too. So I don't
think there is any practical problem that's so severe that it would
worth splitting freemarker.jar into more pieces.

> 2010/8/3 Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>:
>> Monday, August 2, 2010, 12:14:36 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:
>>
>>> Oooops forget my post. I'm very sorry it's my fault. The JBoss
>>> Freemarker Plugin cause problems. Now I have use Required Plug-ins
>>> (instead of import package) it works great.
>>
>> Note that you can also keep using "import package" as far as you
>> specify the version number. (In the FreeMarker bundle packages are
>> versioned too, not only the bundle.)
>>
>>> I must just change teh freemarker.provisionnal.tests (JUnit Test) to
>>> trransform it to plugins and after I will remove org.freemarker
>>> project.
>>>
>>> Sorry for my disturb.
>>>
>>> Regards Angelo

>> Best regards,
>>  Daniel Dekany

Re: DLTK Freemarker plugin: org.freemarker package should be deleted now

OK, now http://freemarker.org/eclipse/freemarker/ provides source
attachments too.

I have also created and Ant task that generates the update site
(however it doesn't upload it -- that needs administrative access
anyway).

If somebody commits a change into FreeMarker that affects you, you
don't need to wait until somebody updates the site. Just do an SVN
update and issue:

  ant eclipse-update-site

Then you can add build/eclipse/freemarker directory as *local*
update-site in Eclipse, and install from there.