2.4 - where are we?

Attila Szegedi
Jonathan, Daniel,

where are we regarding 2.4? Any more outstanding features we should
tackle? Or is it time to put out a first preview release? Chris Nockleberg
reported a scoping bug a while ago that sounds quite serious -- I guess
it'd be worth taking a look at it before doing a preview release though.

Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org
weblog: http://constc.blogspot.com

Re: 2.4 - where are we?

Daniel Dekany
Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 10:04:02 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> Jonathan, Daniel,
>
> where are we regarding 2.4?

I have no idea... as you might noticed, I'm quite off the FM business
nowadays. What I know is that the Manual will need lot of rewriting
(and first merging with the CVS version).

Also, I didn't played the new features much back then, so certainly
there are various bugs there. But I couldn't promise that I will...

> Any more outstanding features we should
> tackle?

Since it will be a non-BC release, if I were you (mean Jonathan and/or
Attila, etc) I would address some more long postponed feature requests
that was not possible to done because it is not BC.

> Or is it time to put out a first preview release?

Doesn't make much sense without Manual updates... Or, at least a good
overview of changes is needed in the version history, and then it has
to be clearly noted that the other parts of the Manual are not updated
yet.

> Chris Nockleberg reported a scoping bug a while ago that sounds
> quite serious -- I guess it'd be worth taking a look at it before
> doing a preview release though.
>
> Attila.

Re: 2.4 - where are we?

Attila Szegedi
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:46:24 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Doesn't make much sense without Manual updates... Or, at least a good
> overview of changes is needed in the version history, and then it has
> to be clearly noted that the other parts of the Manual are not updated
> yet.

Well, I documented in the Manual every new feature that I developed. I
hope Jonathan can find time to document everything he changed/added since
2.3.x...

Attila.

Re: 2.4 - where are we?

Daniel Dekany
Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 1:41:23 PM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:46:24 +0100, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Doesn't make much sense without Manual updates... Or, at least a good
>> overview of changes is needed in the version history, and then it has
>> to be clearly noted that the other parts of the Manual are not updated
>> yet.
>
> Well, I documented in the Manual every new feature that I developed. I
> hope Jonathan can find time to document everything he changed/added since
> 2.3.x...

Ugh... I don't think it's a good idea to leave it to Jonathan.
Certainly many sections have to be reviewed because of fundamental
changes like the null and scoping related ones, and yet the Manual
should remain consistent and understandable, and I think the
abilities, or rather, the motivation needed for this is not exactly
the strength of Jonathan. So although I have no mood to do this update
at all (who has...), I will not resist doing it anyway.

Jonathan, even if you decide to touch the Manual (but you better use
your energy for coding, I say), please tell me before starting it. The
merging has to be done first then... (Well, maybe we will not have
much Manual updates in the 2.3.x branch anymore compared to the 2.4.x
branch, so I might as well do the merging soon.)